Wednesday, June 24, 2009

NORTH.... TO ALASKA!!! (GCEF6E)

This was my first virtual cache. For those that don't know a virtual cache is a just that there is no cache box but there is usually a monument or some kind of landmark. The cache own usually asked you to email or post something specific as proof you found the cache.

I was on my lunch break and decided to go for a walk on the waterfront. I know it's kind of hard to read so here is what the plaque says:

Historical Point of Interest
The famous "TON OF GOLD" that started the Alaska gold rush was unloaded here in 1897. The S.S. Portland landed the valuable cargo at this pier then known as Schwabacher Dock.
Erected National Maritime Day 1957

I have lived in this area my entire life and I never knew that.
--Tom

0 comments:

Post a Comment