Friday, June 12, 2009

Fennel Creek (GC16J6K)

Today I found my first Geocache. I must say I am very excited, I think this will be a fun new hobby.

TechStuff I first heard about Geocaching on the HowStuffWorks TechStuff Podcast. If you know me then there is no reason to ask why I would listen to a TechStuff Podcast. But honestly Jonathan Strickland and Chris Pollette are both funny and informative. May I suggest episode #59 GPS Games People Play.

So after listening to the podcast I instantly wipped out my iPhone and searched for a Geocaching Application. I downloaded the Groundspeak’s Geocaching Application part of the http://www.geocaching.com/ website. I quicky discovered there is a cache less then 200 feet from my back yard. Well that did it, I had to go find this cache.

At first, I tried taking my boys (Ages 2 & 4) with me of course they wanted to help but really they just wanted to run around. A few minutes later my wife came over more to help with the boys then find the cache. After about 20 minutes of looking and me messing around with my iphone we gave up and decided to go home for dinner.

After dinner and putting the boys to bed I decided to give it another shot. I when back out and once I figured out how to use the iPhone application it was rather easy to find. I found my first wooden nickel from Stikbow.










I have never been one to blog but I figured now that I have something to write about I would give it a try.

--Tom



UPDATE: June 14, 2009

Ethan (my 4 year old) and Oliver (my 2 year old) really want visit this cache since they didn't find it on Friday with me. So I took them back out to show them where it was. Oliver traded some play money for a cool toy basketball and Ethan traded his transformer for a spinning top.







UPDATE: June 24, 2009

Ethan really likes this cache so we came back and we left Travel Bug "Balalaikas F 40". This was the first travel bug he found and he was sad he didn't get to keep it. So he wanted to put it in a cache that was close to home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment